When questioning how to prep vegetables on any given day, it’ll usually ends with sautéed and a dash of salt/pepper (tasty but kinda boring)… until now. That glorious aroma of Italian Seasoning in the air and a beautiful display of sliced zucchini, onion, tomato and eggplant. Bring on the ratatouille! Even my farmer husband went back for seconds, I’d say that makes this recipe a keeper.
Makes: 8 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, oregano, 15 ounces
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 hot house tomatoes, sliced
1 large zucchini, sliced
1 eggplant, sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
Olive oil cooking spray
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium-low on the stovetop. Add olive oil, bell pepper, onion and diced tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper to tomatoes and continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Stir every couple minutes, allowing mixture to thicken as liquid reduces.
- Remove tomato mixture from cast iron skillet and transfer to food processor. Pulse tomato mixture to a creamy texture with few chunks of vegetables.
- Return tomato mixture to cast iron skillet.
- Layer sliced tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and onion slices on top of tomato mixture in a circular formation.
- Lightly spray vegetables with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place cast iron skillet in oven and roast vegetables for 30 minutes.
For an extra burst of Italian flavor, don’t shy away from adding fresh or dried oregano, basil and parsley. Season to your preference!