I know I say this farm family loves their meat & potatoes (which we do), but we also have a special place in our hearts for some good ol’ fashioned macaroni and cheese. A comfort food, perfect for any occasion.
Makes: 6 servings
2 cups dry pasta
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
5 slices of gouda cheese, 1/8″ thick and chopped into small pieces
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Cook the pasta to al dente and set aside.
- In the same stockpot (after pasta is removed), melt butter on medium heat. When melted, add flour and whisk together. This is a roux!
- Cook the roux on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk to the roux and continue to stir. Let cook for 5 minutes. The sauce will slowly begin to thicken during this time.
- Remove sauce from heat and add cheeses, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- When cheese is melted, fold pasta into the sauce.
Depending on the type of pasta you decide to use, you may need more or less milk. Also depends on how thick and creamy you prefer your mac & cheese 🙂
Gouda cheese can be substituted for just about any other cheese. Go ahead and get creative! I will usually purchase cheese sliced from the deli and chop this into small pieces at home before adding to the sauce.